Bill's representative cases include:
Entertainment. Obtained a stunning jury verdict for MGA
Entertainment in the company’s battle for the rights to the Bratz
doll. A jury in California federal court found that MGA, not Mattel,
owns the rights to the doll, and that Mattel stole MGA’s trade secrets
through a campaign of corporate espionage. The jury awarded our
client $88.4 million in damages and the potential for punitive
damages. The lower court upheld a ruling Orrick previously obtained
for MGA in appellate court.
Information Services. Acted as lead counsel for Equifax in a
three-week jury trial involving antitrust claims. The jury returned
a unanimous defense verdict for Equifax. Also represented Equifax in
class action 17200 lawsuit where obtained summary judgment for Equifax
- PricewaterhouseCoopers. Represented PwC in an action alleging accounting malpractice filed by a founding board member of the voice-over-internet protocol provider Skype. After less than two hours of deliberations, a Los Angeles jury cleared PwC of any wrongdoing.
- Rabobank. Served as lead counsel in securing a trial victory for a Netherlands-based bank with offices in California. The client faced a public policy claim--essentially a whistleblower cause of action--brought by a current employee in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California. After only 40 minutes of deliberations, the jury returned a complete defense verdict for Radobank.
- Microsoft. Obtained a complete victory for Microsoft and one of its employees with a ruling granting their motion for judgment on the pleadings without leave to amend in a trade secret misappropriation lawsuit against Cheap Stuff.
- Life360, Inc. Won dismissal of a putative Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) class action clearing Life360 of claims that its popular smartphone application sends unsolicited text message invitations to users’ contacts in violation of the TCPA and California Unfair Competition Law.
- Sumner Redstone. Was part of a team that represented client Sumner Redstone and National Amusements Inc. (NAI) in the settlement of an intensely followed corporate dispute over Viacom Inc.
- Industrial manufacturer. Represented this confidential client in a week-long private arbitration seeking indemnification for damages incurred in connection with a series of patent infringement lawsuits. Successfully obtained a multi-billion dollar arbitration award, securing a complete victory for the client.
Financial Products. Represented U.S. subsidiaries of KBC, an
affiliate of KBC Bank in Belgium in several high profile cases involving
life settlement transactions. Cases included CBPC 10200 claims and
consumer class action claims. Obtained summary judgment in favor of
KBC in precedent-setting action involving non-recourse life insurance
Merchant Services. Represented Aquila, then one of the largest
energy marketers in the United States, in a consumer class action filed by
the California Attorney General involving claims of energy market
manipulation. Obtained dismissal of claims on demurrer. Also,
represented Aquila Merchant Services in a lawsuit in which AMS and various
other energy companies were accused of manipulating the natural gas
futures market on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
of Los Angeles. Obtained dismissal of class action claims
brought by all Los Angeles taxpayers for alleged collection of telephone
La-Roche. Represented pharmaceutical giant in defeating
action by Johnson & Johnson for an injunction based on alleged theft of
trade secrets by departing employees.