Jeremy's representative legislative and regulatory engagements include:
- Daily Fantasy Sports. In the fall of 2015, the Fantasy Sports Trade Association, FanDuel and DraftKings faced an existential threat from state legislatures and Attorneys General. Jeremy and his team built, implemented and ran a 50 state legislative and regulatory campaign in 2016 that included on the ground lobbying, public relations support and grassroots and grasstops activation. By the spring of 2017, 11 state legislatures, including New York where Attorney General Schneiderman issued a cease and desist to the companies, passed legislation clarifying that daily fantasy sports are legal, creating regulatory oversight and introducing common sense consumer protections. Efforts to ban daily fantasy sports by the Maryland Senate President were also defeated.
- Satellite TV Tax. For the past eight years,
Jeremy and Orrick's state legislative team have developed and coordinated a national strategy for DIRECTV and DISH Network in response to cable-led efforts to impose a higher sales tax on satellite TV than other forms of pay TV service. As a result of Orrick's efforts, the companies have defeated the cable industry 53 of 54 times in 30 states since 2009.
- Secondary Life Insurance. Responsible for developing and implementing a multi-state legislative and regulatory campaign on behalf of Fortress Investment Group to bring certainty to the secondary life insurance market. In 2014,
and his team helped pass affirmative legislation in Minnesota that gives investors the right--for the first time--to go to court and obtain a declaration that a policy has a valid insurable interest.
- Physician Dispensing. Overseeing initiative on behalf of Valeant Pharmaceutical International to enact legislation in New York, Massachusetts and Texas that will allow physicians to dispense prescription drugs directly to patients.
and Orrick are responsible for all aspects of the campaign, including preparing advocacy pieces, testifying at committee hearings, enlisting third party allies and coordinating a cutting-edge PR and grassroots campaign.
- Down Syndrome Research Funding. Overseeing initiative to obtain funding from state legislatures across the country for research grants on behalf of pro bono client Down Syndrome Research & Treatment Foundation.