George Rigo, partner in Orrick's Paris office, is a member of the M&A and Private Equity Group.
Specialized in corporate law matters, he has developed a strong expertise in mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures. He has also acquired a substantial experience in restructuring matters and has been recently involved in a number of restructuring issues. His particular strength lies in combined skills in those areas.
Mr. Rigo has extensive experience in cross border transactions, negotiating and drafting international contracts with an emphasis on litigation succeeding the implementation of such agreement.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Rigo was an associate with Watson, Farley & Williams. Prior to that, he worked for Fidal Peat International Paris and the Paris office of Proskauer Rose.
George Rigo has notably advised clients in the following significant transactions:
- Biostime, a Chinese company listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange, specialized in the production and commercialization of nutritional products, pediatric nutrition and baby care products regarding the signature of an industrial and commercial cooperation agreement with the French dairy Cooperative Isigny Sainte-Mère. Biostime, already a client of the Cooperative for 2 years, invested €17.5 million in non-convertible bonds and €2.5 million in capital (representing 20% of the Cooperative’s capital). Biostime thus gained access to a part of the production capacity of the Cooperative in order to respond to the growing demand on the Chinese market and secure its sources of supply in high-quality end products.
- Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation in the acquisition of the Compounds activities of Tessenderlo Group, a worldwide specialty company, focused on food, agriculture, water management and on valorizing bio-residuals. The sale comprised four production sites in France, Poland and China and one R&D site in Belgium.
- U-SHIN Ltd., one of Asia's largest producers of automotive access mechanisms, in negotiations regarding the acquisition of Valeo S.A.'s, Access Mechanism Product Group, a branch dedicated mainly to automobile parts such as locksets, steering column locks, latches and handles for an amount of €202 million.
- Nippon Soda Co., Ltd., a Japanese listed company, in connection with the purchase of 100% of the share capital of Métaux Spéciaux SA (MSSA), the world leader in metallic sodium production and the sole European-based player on the market.
- Vivendi S.A. in connection to the sale of 51 percent of Polska Telefonia Cyfrowa Sp. z.o.o. by Vivendi and its Polish partner Elektrim SA to Deutsche Telekom AG and the settlement of all outstanding litigation worldwide between the parties.
- Naturex SA, whose shares are listed on Euronext Paris SA, as part of the acquisition of the "Ingredients" Division of the Spanish Natraceutical Group, a leader in the market of biotechnologies in Spain, listed on the Madrid stock exchange. From a legal standpoint, this transaction represented the first issuance of listed preferred shares.
- Fermat International's Partners in connection with the sale of Fermat International to Moody's Corporation.
- Truffle Venture Investment Fund in the acquisition and subsequent simplified takeover bid and recapitalization of Phone Systems & Network.