The Orrick Library Seminar Series
Seminar | September.18.2019 | 9:00am - 10:30am (Tokyo Standard Time)Orrick Tokyo
Orrick's Global Japan Practice is hosting a series of "Orrick Library" seminars to explore legal issues in various fields in Japan as well as the United States, Asia and Europe. The next seminar will be held on Wednesday, September 18 from 9:00 am to 10:30 am.
Litigation funding, a practice in which third parties provide financial resources to enable costly litigation or arbitration cases to proceed, is a relatively new industry in continuous growth. While the phenomenon has been prevalent in the US and Europe, it has also been receiving increasing attention in the Asian regions including Japan. Presented by Claudia Wilson Frost, partner in Orrick’s Houston office, this session will introduce you to the fundamentals of litigation funding in cross-border litigation and international arbitration and cover the following topics:
• What type of party/entity should consider it?
• What makes a dispute well suited for it or not well suited?
• What are the pros and cons of using litigation funding?
• Are there private alternatives to litigation funding?
This seminar will be presented by videoconference. There will be time set aside for questions and answers.
Date: Wednesday, September 18, 9:00 am – 10:30 am (Registration from 8:45 am)
Place: Orrick Tokyo Law Office (Map)
Speakers: Claudia Wilson Frost, Partner, Houston Office
Fee: No charge
Registration deadline: September 13 (Friday)
* Tokyo Litigation Partners Yoshihiro Takatori (Head of Orrick Global Japan Practice, Dai-Ichi Tokyo Bar Association) and Shinsuke Yakura (Dai-Ichi Tokyo Bar Association) will also join and offer additional comments and perspectives in Japanese.
* * Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP is an accredited MCLE provider in the States of New York and California. This continuing legal education course has been approved in accordance with the requirements of the Continuing Legal Education Board for a maximum of 1.5 credit hours, of which 1.5 credit hours can be applied toward the areas of professional practice requirement.
For questions, please contact Aya Mori.
CLE Credits Available: Y
Shinsuke Yakura is the Office Leader of Orrick’s Tokyo office and head of Orrick Tokyo’s Complex Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group, and Intellectual Property Group. He has broad experience in handling cross-border litigation, arbitration, intellectual property and compliance matters.
His practice focuses on intellectual property, antitrust, product liability, medical and pharmaceutical, and other commercial disputes for both domestic and foreign companies. He actively engages in cross-border litigation and arbitration, and draws on his extensive knowledge and experience from various countries.
In regards to intellectual property, Shinsuke has represented numerous companies in patent infringement litigation involving a wide range of technologies related to electric devices and industrial machinery. He has also handled other IP-related issues such as trademark, copyright and right to publicity. He is a qualified patent attorney (Benrishi) in Japan.
Recently, he has been involved in business and legal issues related to artificial intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT), and big data; he also acts as the Asia representative of Orrick’s Global AI Working Group.
Consistently providing strategic advice from a global perspective, he is also actively involved in bribery regulations including FCPA and UKBA, antitrust and competition law, cartel, fraud and compliance investigations.
He also advises in mergers and acquisitions, licensing and other transactional matters.