In 2005, Orrick Foreign Legal Affairs Attorneys at Law opened in Taipei to provide Taiwan-based high-technology and electronics companies with the intellectual property counseling and U.S. patent litigation services that are critical to the success of our clients’ rapidly expanding business throughout the world. Today, Orrick’s Taiwan practice has grown into a broad corporate, IP and disputes practice that assists clients across a variety of industries and includes leading transactional and disputes lawyers, including those who are fluent in Mandarin, are admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and who have advanced technical and science degrees in engineering, electrical engineering and physics.
Among other engagements, we have provided a broad range of IP, litigation, corporate, finance and other services to both established and emerging-growth clients headquartered in Taiwan, including:
- The world’s largest total PC component solutions manufacturer
- The world’s No. 4 branded PC vendor
- The world’s third largest IC packaging and testing services provider
- One of the world’s largest notebook manufacturers
- An innovative leader in the development of high-end flash memory products
- The No. 1 brand of multi-port serial solutions for the worldwide industrial market
- A global leader in advanced memory semiconductors that is positioned to lead the “nanometer” era
- The largest manufacturer of connectors for use in PCs in Taiwan, and a leading manufacturer of connectors and cable assemblies in the world
Taiwan’s international competitiveness in high-technology sectors is based on its geographical location, skilled research and development personnel, high-quality research and development applications, integration with multinational industries, and progressive manufacturing techniques. Taiwan is also a key transit point for multinational businesses entering China and Southeast Asia. To further assist businesses throughout the Asia-Pacific region, Orrick’s Taiwan team works closely with Orrick’s offices located in Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Tokyo.