Our representation includes all phases of class litigation, from initial filing to class certification and subsequent litigation through settlement and claims proceedings. Our employment litigators have a proven track record of obtaining dismissal of purported class claims on the pleadings and defeating class certification.
In addition to our successful representation of class actions, we have a strong reputation of representing clients with
- DLSE, EDD and DOL proceedings
- Audits and enforcement actions
- Single plaintiff cases
- Meal and rest break issues
- Off-the-clock matters
- Independent contractor disputes
- Pay deductions and frequency
- Final pay, minimum wage, vacation pay and travel pay
- Uniform and tools
- Alternative work schedules
Orrick's employment lawyers work with clients’ in-house legal, management and human resources departments to develop a tailored and business-focused approach to meet objectives. Orrick shares our clients’ emphasis on preventive measures to minimize the risk of litigation and on resolving matters cost-effectively through alternatives such as mediation and early settlement conferences.
- Represented AT&T/YP in a nationwide class action suit contending that telephone sales representatives were forced to work off-the-clock and that YP failed to provide meal and rest breaks and pay overtime.
- Represented PwC in a class action alleging that its unlicensed accountants are improperly classified as exempt from overtime. We achieved a successful resolution after eight years of litigation, settling for only a small fraction of the total amount claimed.
- Successfully resolved a class and FLSA collective action against a leading global technology company alleging joint employer liability and wage and hour claims for off-the-clock work.
- Represented Sephora in multiple lawsuits related to payment of wages, overtime calculations, the provision of meal and rest breaks and other issues.
- Successfully resolved a class action for Morgan Stanley asserting a wide range of claims under the California Labor Code and the California Private Attorney General Act (PAGA) on behalf of thousands of current and former employees.
- Represented Genentech in several class and collective actions involving misclassification, meal and rest periods, unpaid overtime, off-the-clock work, untimely final paycheck penalties and other penalties.
- Represented Williams-Sonoma in a wage and hour class action on behalf of a class of exempt store managers with wage and hour claims.