We draw on our extensive experience working with innovators. We’ve been named the Most Innovative Law Firm in North America by the Financial Times three years in a row and runner-up in 2019. And we bring a reputation as a leading advisor to the tech sector. In 2019, we were named by Law360 as Technology Practice Group of the Year.
Our global team has advised on hundreds of AI and machine learning matters. Here are some issues we’ve helped our clients navigate:
- Data Innovation – We counsel companies on risk assessment and risk mitigation with respect to development and use of AI technologies, data sets, training algorithms, and contractual obligations. We also advise AI companies on ownership of data, classifiers, and AI technology in partnership transactions.
- Intellectual Property – We protect and defend companies that build AI systems and related innovations, help determine valuation of AI-related IP, and resolve issues in AI-related transactions. We’ve successfully defended AI companies in IP litigation matters, including patent, trade secret misappropriation, and trademark. We advise on risks and protections under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and the Communications Decency Act. We also prosecute international IP portfolios, including patent, trademark and copyright, for AI companies.
- Privacy – We help companies comply with privacy laws worldwide, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Chinese cybersecurity and data localization laws. We also advise on other key privacy and security laws impacted by AI technology, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, and state laws including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
- Product Liability – We help our clients protect against potential AI product litigation, advise on potential standards of liability, advocate for them in the regulatory space, and defend them in suits.
- Corporate – We advise investors and companies from startups to large tech companies in all stages of the AI supply chain. We’ve worked on venture financings for many startups focused on AI.
- Public Policy – We’ve helped non-U.S. clients who want to invest in U.S. AI technology with CFIUS reviews. We’ve also helped companies based outside of China with their China operations.
- Employment – We work at the intersection of AI and recruiting, current employment, retention and privacy.
- Energy – We counsel on energy-related transactions, including drafting contractual indemnity frameworks around market manipulation concerns and rulemaking to facilitate AI.
- Antitrust – We advise on the treatment of AI and big data under antitrust laws, both from a mergers and conduct perspective.
- Securities Regulation – We advise companies and help clarify directors’ fiduciary duties and related obligations to identify and address AI-related risks and AI-related regulation by enforcement bodies.