This Privacy Notice explains how Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP and its subsidiaries (collectively, “Orrick,” “we,” “our,” or “us”) collects, uses, discloses, and otherwise processes personal information about our U.S.-based recruits and job applicants.
This Privacy Notice is not a contract and does not create any legal rights or obligations. This Privacy Notice also is not intended to replace other notices or disclosures we may provide to you in connection with your application for a job or eventual role in our organization, which will supersede any conflicting disclosures contained in this Privacy Notice.
What is Personal Information?
When we use the term “personal information” in this Privacy Notice, we mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to you within the context of you acting as a job applicant. It does not include aggregated or deidentified information that is maintained in a form that is not capable of being associated with or reasonably linked to you.
Our Collection and Use of Personal Information
Collection of Personal Information
During the recruiting process and when you apply for a job with us, we collect certain personal information about you, which may include:
- Contact Information: such as your full name, email address, home address, telephone number.
- Professional History & Qualifications: such as your previous employers, positions and work experience, board memberships, professional licenses, certificates or other qualifications, and employment references or referrals.
- Education History & Qualifications: such as your highest level of education, the schools you attended and when you were in attendance, degrees, certificates or other educational qualifications you earned, and your transcripts or educational references.
- Financial Information: such as your previous salary (if you volunteer this information to us) or desired salary, bonus, benefits, expenses, and stock or equity grants.
- Background Check Information: when permitted by applicable law, we may choose to conduct a background check in connection with your application such as to verify professional and educational history and qualifications or identify criminal history that may be relevant for a position with us. The results of the background check may include personal information we do not already have about you.
- Equal Opportunity Information: such as age, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability or accommodation request, or marital or veteran status when you choose to provide it, but it will not be used in the hiring decision unless specifically permitted by law.
- Web-Related Information: such as technical details about your visit to our online services contained in log files or analytics data relating to your usage and activity on our online services. For more information, please refer to the general Privacy Notice on our website.
- Health Screening Information: such as symptoms information, testing information, travel information and other health-related information for screening purposes.
- Other Application and Interview Information: any personal information you choose to share with us in your interview or application, CV, resume, transcripts or other supporting documentation.
Although we often collect the personal information described above directly from you, we may also collect certain information from references, recruiters, job-related social media sites (such as LinkedIn), and publicly available sources. In addition, we may also collect this information through service providers and other third parties that collect it on our behalf, such as communications providers, scheduling providers and application providers.
Use of Personal Information
We use the personal information we collect during the recruiting process and when you apply for a job with us to:
- Identify you as a potential candidate and review your application for a position with us;
- Verify the information provided to us in connection with your application or received from other sources;
- Determine your eligibility and suitability for the potential position or other opportunities with us;
- Facilitate the recruiting and interview process;
- Communicate with you about the status of your application or other opportunities with us that may be of interest to you;
- Assess and improve the performance and success of our recruiting and hiring process;
- Protect the health and safety of our personnel and visitors to our premises;
- Conduct internal investigations, audits, compliance, risk management, problem resolution and security operations;
- Fulfill contractual obligations to you and other third parties;
- Comply with applicable law, rule, regulation, legal proceeding and government investigations, including relating to tax reporting and immigration.
Please note that if you accept an offer from us, we may transfer the personal information we collected about you during the recruiting and job application process to your personnel file with us.