Scope of Notice
This California Privacy Notice (the “CA Notice”) supplements the information contained in our Privacy Notice and applies solely to individual residents of the State of California ("consumers" or "you").
This CA Notice describes how we collect, use, disclose, and otherwise process personal information of individual residents of the State of California, either online or offline, within the scope of the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act.
Unless otherwise expressly stated, all terms in this CA Notice have the same meaning as defined in our Privacy Notice or as otherwise defined in the CCPA.
When we use the term “personal information” in this CA Notice, we mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular individual, consumer or household. This CA Notice does not apply to personal information we collect when we are acting as a service provider to process information on behalf of our clients to whom we provide legal services.
For the purposes of this CA Notice, personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Deidentified, aggregated or anonymized information that is maintained in a form that is not capable of being associated with or linked to a consumer.
- Information excluded from the CCPA's scope, such as:
- Health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data;
- Information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
- Information relating to our job applicants, employees, contractors and other Orrick personnel.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
We collect personal information from and about consumers for a variety of purposes. To learn more about the types of personal information we collect, the sources from which we collect or receive personal information, and the purposes for which we use this information, please refer to the Personal Information We Collect About You and How We Use It section in our Privacy Notice.
In the last 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers, such as your name, address, phone number, email address, or other similar identifiers.
- Commercial Information, such as your use of our services.
- Protected Classification Characteristics, such as age, gender, religion, and disability information.
- Internet/Network Information, such as your IP address, or browser or device information.
- Geolocation Data, such as information about your physical location collected from geolocation features on your device, including your IP address.
- Sensory Information, such as pictures of you.
- Professional/Employment Information, such as your employing entity, business unit, manager and management reporting structure, job title, function and the nature or your duties and responsibilities.
- Other Personal Information, such as information you provide to us when you register for or attend an event organized or hosted by us, including your preferences or education information, information you permit us to see when interacting with us through social media, or comments and opinions you provide to us such as when you post on message boards, blogs or complete an online form, and any health screening information you provide to us.
- Inferences, including information generated from your use of the websites reflecting predictions about your interests and preferences.
Sources of Collecting Personal Information
We collect this information from a variety of sources including, but not limited to:
- Directly from you;
- From your browser or device;
- From information generated from your online browsing and usage activity;
- Service providers;
- Business partners and affiliates; and
- Third parties you direct to share information with us.
Purposes for Collecting Personal Information
We may collect, use or disclose personal information about you for one or more of the following purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to ask a question about our services, we will use that personal information to respond to your inquiry.
- To deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to our services.
- To communicate with you, including through email to provide you updates, alerts, news and mailings relating to seminars or events that we think may be of interest to you.
- To operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of our services.
- To market to you, including through email.
- To send you statements and invoices in relation to any agreement between us to provide you with any part of the services.
- To better understand the demographics of our users.
- To personalize your experience and to deliver custom content and product and service offerings relevant to your interests, including targeted offers and ads through our website, third-party sites, or on other devices you may use.
- To recognize you and remember your information when you return to our websites and services.
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our services, technology assets, and business.
- To protect the health and safety of our personnel and visitors to our premises.
- For testing, research, analysis, and product development, including to develop and improve our services.
- To assist you in sharing content from our services, or your experiences on our services, with your friends, followers or contacts on a social network.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
Disclosure of Personal Information
In the previous 12 months, we have disclosed all of the categories of personal information we collect, explained in the Collection and Use of Personal Information section of this CA Notice, to third parties for a business purpose.
The categories of third parties to whom we disclose your personal information for a business purpose are described in the Recipients of Personal Information section of our Privacy Notice.
Selling or Sharing for Targeted Advertising
We do not sell personal information to third parties for monetary or other valuable consideration.
Your Privacy Choices
As a California resident, you may be able to exercise the following rights in relation to the personal information about you that we have collected (subject to certain limitations at law):
- The Right to Know. The right to confirm whether we are processing personal information about you and, under California law only, to obtain certain personalized details about the personal information we have collected about you in the last 12 months, including:
- The categories of personal information collected;
- The categories of sources of the personal information;
- The purposes for which the personal information were collected;
- The categories of personal information disclosed to third parties (if any), and the categories of recipients to whom the personal information were disclosed;
- The categories of personal information shared for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes (if any), and the categories of recipients to whom the personal information were disclosed for those purposes; and
- The categories of personal information sold (if any), and the categories of third parties to whom the personal information were sold.
- The Right to Access and Portability. The right to obtain access to the personal information we have collected about you and, where required by law, the right to obtain a copy of the personal data in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, readily usable format that allows you to transmit the data to another entity without hindrance.
- The Right to Request Deletion. You have the right to request the deletion of personal information that we have collected from you, subject to certain exceptions.
- The Right to Correction. You have the right to request that any inaccuracies in your personal information be corrected, taking into account the nature of the personal information and the purposes of the processing of your personal information.
Depending on your state of residency, you may also have the right to not receive retaliatory or discriminatory treatment in connection with a request to exercise the above rights. However, the exercise of the rights described above may result in a different price, rate or quality level of product or service where that difference is reasonably related to the impact the right has on our relationship or is otherwise permitted by law.
How to Exercise Your Privacy Rights
To submit a request to exercise one of the privacy rights identified above, please submit a request by:
We will need to verify your identity before processing your request. In order to verify your identity, we will generally require the matching of sufficient information you provide us to the information we maintain about you in our systems. Although we try to limit the personal information collected in connection with a request to exercise the right to access, right to know and/or the right to deletion to that personal information identified on the California Resident Rights Request Form, certain requests may require us to obtain additional personal information from you. In certain circumstances, we may decline a request to exercise the right to know and/or right to deletion, particularly where we are unable to verify your identity. If we are unable to comply with all or a portion of your request, we will explain the reasons for declining to comply with the request.
In certain circumstances, you are permitted to use an authorized agent (as that term is defined by the CCPA) to submit requests on your behalf through the designated methods set forth in this U.S. Notice where we can verify the authorized agent’s authority to act on your behalf.
For requests to know, delete, or correct personal information, we require the following for verification purposes:
- a power of attorney valid under the laws of California from you or your authorized agent; or
- sufficient evidence to show that you have:
- provided the authorized agent signed permission to act on your behalf; and
- verified your own identity directly with us pursuant to the instructions set forth in this U.S. Notice; or directly confirmed with us that you provided the authorized agent permission to submit the request on your behalf.
For requests to opt-out of personal information “sales” or “sharing”, we require a signed permission demonstrating your authorized agent has been authorized by you to act on your behalf.
Appealing Privacy Rights Decisions
Depending on your state of residency, you may be able to appeal a decision we have made in connection with your privacy rights request. All appeal requests should be submitted using the California Resident Rights Request Form.
We do not sell the personal information and do not have actual knowledge that we sell the personal information of minors under 16 years of age. If we wish to do so in the future, we will first seek affirmative authorization form either the minor who is between 13 and 16 years of age, or the parent or guardian of a minor less than 13 years of age. Please contact us at [email protected] to inform us if you, or your minor child, are under the age of 16.If you are under the age of 18 and you want to remove your name or comments from our website or publicly displayed content, please contact us directly at [email protected]. We may not be able to modify or delete your information in all circumstances.
If you wish to submit a privacy request on behalf of your minor child in accordance with applicable jurisdictional laws, you must provide sufficient information to allow us to reasonably verify your child is the person about whom we collected personal information and you are authorized to submit the request on your child’s behalf (i.e., you are the child’s legal guardian or authorized representative).
Updates to This CA Notice
We will update this CA Notice from time to time. When we make changes to this CA Notice, we will change the "Last Updated" date at the beginning of this CA Notice. All changes shall be effective from the date of publication unless otherwise provided in the notification.
If you have any questions or requests in connection with this CA Notice or other privacy-related matters, please send an email to [email protected].