The following is a representative selection of William’s experience:
Fintech and Payments
- Represented numerous banks in connection with the negotiation of core processing agreements.
- Represented a major financial institution in the outsourcing of the technology platform and related services to support its online personal savings and business checking products.
- Represented a European-based digital-only banking platform unicorn on its US expansion, including counseling, structuring and negotiating deals for it currency conversion, cryptocurrency, and U.S. banking relationships.
- Negotiated various payment related agreements, including merchant, payment facilitator, and ISO agreements.
- Advised clients on payment and banking regulatory issues associated with fintech transactions, including compliance with brand operating rules, money transmission, NACHA rules, PCI-DSS, GLBA, and FTC and CFPB rules.
Technology and Intellectual Property
- Represented video processing software company overseeing a broad range of technology and intellectual property transactions, including negotiating and drafting outbound technology, API and SDK, and content licensing agreements.
- Represented leading automotive manufacturer in the procurement and integration of voice recognition and mapping systems for its vehicles.
- Provided counsel on technology transfer matters, including to a nanotechnology startup in acquiring patents from a research university.
- Structured and drafted electronic health records (EHR) sublicense for university research hospital.
- Represented clients on open source issues, software audits, and clean room software development procedures.
- Counsel to apparel retailer in connection with the implementation of and migration to a cloud-based e-commerce platform.
Privacy and Security
- Advised clients in all aspects of data security incident response, including investigation and preparation of notifications pursuant to state breach notification laws.
- Advised clients on international data protection requirements, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation and developing mechanisms to comply with cross-Atlantic data transfer requirements.
- Provided counsel on and managed third party penetration testing and vulnerability assessments.
- Counsel on privacy regulations and industry standards, including state privacy and cyber security laws, GLBA, PCI-DSS, COPPA, FERPA, CalOPPA, and CCPA.