Ed Batts leads Orrick’s global M&A and Private Equity practice group, which includes more than 50 partners across the world dedicated to acquisitions and divestitures involving strategics and financial sponsors alike. Orrick ranks in the top 10 law firms globally for M&A deal volume by delivering business acumen in the Technology, Energy & Infrastructure and Finance sectors.
- M&A: Fiduciary duty counseling of public boards, cross border transactions, spin-offs, tender offers and going private transactions.
- Corporate Governance: Board matters and public reporting obligations, including activist investor situations, stockholder proposals and accounting issues.
- Crisis Management/Cyber: Crisis management of significant incidents and internal investigations, including advice on regulators, plaintiffs and law enforcement.
Speaking Engagements & Honors
- Moderating Stanford Directors’ College panels on stockholder engagement and governance;
- Moderating on crisis management at the Financial Times Outstanding Director Exchange (FT-ODX) conference;
- Moderating cyber and stockholder activism topics with the Silicon Valley Directors Exchange (SVDX);
- Speaking on M&A at the annual conference of the National Investor Relations Institute (NIRI).
- In 2016, named both an Acritas Star and a BTI Client Service All Star.
- Most recent article posted on the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation concerns the tectonic shifts in U.S. equity markets and their ramifications on stockholder engagement (available here);
- Corporate governance benchmarking study on the component companies of the Dow Jones U.S. technology index (available here);
- Corporate governance benchmarking study on mid cap and large cap Silicon Valley and SF Bay Area public companies (available here);
- Annual checklist on M&A (here);
- Annual checklist on public company reporting matters (here);
- Blog on public company matters, accessible at www.accruedknowledge.com.
- Military officer veteran and former federal special agent; deployed since 9/11 to, among other locations, Yemen and twice to Iraq.
- Graduate of the Criminal Investigator Training Program (CITP) at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) and served with both the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) and the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (OSI).
- Active participant in Orrick's veterans programs, including the firm's annual Veterans' Legal Career Fair in Washington, D.C.