With 150 dedicated practitioners around the globe, we are one of the few firms with a strategic commitment to covering the full breadth of the evolving energy markets. And we are a pioneer in the infrastructure and P3 market in the United States and globally. We bring deep sector knowledge and creativity to help our clients achieve their business objectives, including in the areas of project development and finance, complex mergers and private equity investments, restructurings, dispute resolution, and proactive compliance.
Recognized Global Strengths
Our practices and teams are recognized globally as leaders in the sector. Chambers & Partners 2017 rates our teams across 24 energy and infrastructure categories in markets worldwide, including the United States, Africa, France, Italy, Japan, South Korea and the UK. In addition, our lawyers have earned 71 individual rankings from Chambers 2017 across oil and gas, electric power and renewables in markets from Houston and California to London, Paris and Tokyo. Our Project Finance team has been named Group of the Year four times by Law360, while our U.S. PPP practice and Renewables & Alternative Energy practice are rated Band 1 by Chambers Global. Our U.S. Renewable Energy practice is Tier 1 in Legal 500, and Chambers USA named us Power firm of the year in 2017. In France, Chambers Europe 2017 rated us Band 1 for PFI/PPP and Band 2 for both Energy and Natural Resources and Public Law. In Italy, we were named 2016 Energy Law Firm of the Year by Legalcommunity. In Africa, Chambers Global 2017 recognized our Projects and Energy team, as well as three of our practitioners. Clients tell Chambers that they "can’t speak highly enough of [our] lawyers" in Africa, and that we "know the African market very well."
Our experience spans 95 countries and all 50 U.S. states, including groundbreaking projects across Europe, Africa, the Americas and Asia. We bring distinctive local market knowledge to our emerging markets work. We serve the Latin American market principally from our Houston office, where we have experience in oil and gas, power, and renewables projects throughout the region. In Africa, we are playing a role in virtually every major project underway today. We serve the continent from our affiliated office in Abidjan – the only such team in Africa affiliated with an international firm – as well as dedicated teams in Paris, London, New York, Washington, D.C., and Hong Kong. And we serve Asia from Tokyo and Hong Kong, where we advise the most active participants in the pan-Asian infrastructure/PPP, energy, renewables, and oil and gas markets.
Groundbreaking Projects Worldwide
Clients call on our teams for projects that are distinctive in approach or scope – projects that require a proven ability to innovate. Here are some examples of our recent and ongoing work.
- We counseled the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey on LaGuardia Airport’s $4 billion New Terminal B Redevelopment Project – the first greenfield airport PPP project in the U.S. and the largest PPP project in North America to date.
- In one of the largest U.S. infrastructure deals of 2015, we helped IFM Investors with its $5.72 billion acquisition of the 157-mile Indiana Toll Road and restructuring of its debt – which won IJGlobal Awards North American M&A Deal of the Year.
- We helped Recurrent Energy with the construction and financing of 1.2 GW of utility-scale solar projects in California and Texas, valued at more than $3 billion.
- For the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo, we act on the largest energy project underway worldwide – the 40,000 MW Grand Inga Dam – which will have more than twice the power production of the Three Gorges Dam on China’s Yangtze River.
- We counseled Golar LNG on the first floating liquefied natural gas facility in Africa, located off the coast of Cameroon.
- For France’s largest project financing of 2015 and the first under the new Juncker Plan – the EU’s "New Deal" – we guided lenders and bondholders in financing the ports of Calais and Boulogne-sur-Mer.
- We helped with a joint venture investment in the massive 231.44 MW Setouchi Solar Project – the largest PV solar project in Japan.
- We negotiated the financing of the largest wind project in Chile, Arrayán, which is also the first renewable project financing in Chile underpinned by a financial hedge.
Comprehensive Solutions for the E&I Sector
Our work for the Energy & Infrastructure sector goes well beyond project development and finance and M&A. We combine sector knowledge across multiple disciplines to help our clients navigate all kinds of opportunities and risks.
- Energy Regulation – We advocate for our clients before regulators worldwide. In the United States, our Regulatory team in our Washington office came from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and continues to represent clients in front of FERC and on state regulatory matters across the country. Our London team provides regulatory advice in the U.K. and throughout the EU, while our teams in Paris, London and Abidjan advise on regulatory issues throughout Africa. Our Tokyo team provided counsel to Japan’s MITI on its new renewable energy framework, and our Hong Kong team provides regulatory support throughout Asia.
- Anti-Corruption Compliance – Our team has been engaged by energy companies throughout the world to develop compliance programs addressing anti-bribery and FCPA-related risk, and to investigate compliance-related issues. A member of our team served for more than five years as Co-General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer of one of the world’s largest multinational oilfield services companies while the company was in the midst of an FCPA and Sanctioned Country investigation. He helped establish what is widely recognized as a best-in-class compliance program, and we do the same for our clients. In addition, our lawyers regularly handle matters in front of the world’s major multilateral development banks, such as the World Bank, guiding clients through investigations and throughout all phases of the sanctions process.
- Restructuring – Our Restructuring team helps companies and creditors, including funds, address distressed situations. Project Finance cited our work on the restructuring of the $6 billion debt of the Indiana Toll Road and related concessions as the North American Transport Deal of the Year. We are counseling clients, including alternative credit providers, in connection with numerous workouts and bankruptcies in the renewable energy, oil and gas, and coal sectors in the United States, Europe and Africa.
- Public Finance – As the dominant firm in the U.S. municipal finance and infrastructure markets, we bring a distinctive skill set to infrastructure transactions with a public finance component. A recent example is our work for the state of Kentucky, where we introduced the first use of P3 techniques to finance statewide high-speed internet infrastructure. And we have a premier group of lawyers experienced in the tax aspects of municipal bonds.
- Energy Technology – Our Tech Companies team has counseled some of the most successful venture-backed energy and clean tech companies in markets worldwide, in everything from their formation and financing to protecting their innovations. We also act for leading venture capital firms and the venture arms of major energy companies.
- Tax – Expert tax advice is a necessity in the Energy & Infrastructure space, especially in dealing with cross-border transactions. And it is even more critical in financing renewable energy projects, such as solar and wind projects, in the United States, where tax equity financing is the name of the game to support new generation. Our tax lawyers are nationally and internationally recognized for their work in this sector, both driving deals and providing leading advice on new structures. We have closed scores of tax equity fundings in the United States in recent years, involving many billions of dollars of new, clean electrical generation.
- International Arbitration – Our International Arbitration team represents major players in the oil and gas, power, and mining industries – including governments, multinationals and investors – in arbitrations governed by the rules of ICSID, ICC and UNCITRAL, among others, in both English and French. Chambers Global 2015 praises our International Arbitration team’s "strong presence in the African market, particularly across francophone jurisdictions." We represent the Republic of Guinea in various ICSID arbitrations, including a $5 billion arbitration launched by Beny Steinmetz Group Resources over withdrawal of a concession to mine due to allegations of widespread bribery. We aided in a construction dispute under the ICC rules seated in the Persian Gulf on behalf of a major subcontractor performing work for a new international airport. And we helped a major European energy concern in a multibillion-dollar dispute with its gas supplier over natural gas pricing.
- Litigation and Intellectual Property – Our litigators have achieved outstanding results for companies operating in the Energy & Infrastructure sector in their most complex, high-stakes business disputes. Our Litigation department was named in 2016 by The American Lawyer as one of the top Litigation departments in the nation, and our litigators have established a winning record across a variety of forums for our Energy & Infrastructure clients. We have secured landmark victories in breach of contract, consumer class action, trade secrets, unfair competition and false advertising cases, among others. We’ve had major wins for oil, gas and energy companies before public utility commissions, in consumer protection lawsuits, and in commercial disputes. Among our clients are three out of five of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, and the biggest oil and gas exploration companies worldwide. We represent the largest U.S. power and utility companies and those companies at the forefront of renewable energy, including clean energy startups. And we act for oil companies in litigation under English law. In addition, the most innovative companies in the world call on us to protect their intellectual property and defend their brands. We’ve won some of the highest-impact IP cases of recent years, at trial and on appeal. The American Lawyer named us IP Department of the Year in 2016, and Law360 called us one of four MVP IP firms based on our results over the past five years.