Daniel's experience includes:
- Serves as a member of the Orrick team representing Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC and affiliated companies in numerous mortgage-backed securities lawsuits in New York courts, filed by both monoline insurers and trustees on behalf of investors in RMBS securities.
- Spent nine months in the General Counsel's office of an international investment bank, on secondment to its civil litigation department, coordinating a broad litigation docket including securities suits, antitrust claims, and bankruptcy adversary proceedings.
- Represents major European bank in federal court litigation involving alleged RICO violations, fraud, aiding and abetting fraud, conversion, tortious interference, and other common law tort claims.
- Represented the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) as amicus curiae on appeals in the New York Appellate Division, First Department, involving key issues in lawsuits by monoline insurers against issuers of residential mortgage-backed securities.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Represents Hemlock Semiconductor Corporation as plaintiff in actions pending in both state and federal court in Michigan and New York arising from breaches of long-term contracts for the supply of polycrystalline silicon, a product used in the manufacture of solar panels. To date, the team has successfully obtained judgments exceeding $1 billion.
- Represented Microsoft in an action alleging negligent misrepresentation concerning the purchase and installation of accounting and budgeting software. The team successfully obtained dismissal of all claims against Microsoft, and the dismissal was affirmed by the New York Appellate Division, First Department.
- Represented Rail Europe, Inc., the largest U.S. distributor of European railroad tickets and related services, in a putative nationwide consumer class action alleging deceptive sales practices, fraud, negligence and violations of consumer protection statutes. The Orrick team obtained complete dismissal of the class action complaint on its pre-answer motion to dismiss.
- Served as a member of the Orrick arbitration team representing an international forest products company in a dispute with one of its largest customers, in a three-day arbitration hearing before an ICC tribunal.
Products Liability Litigation
- Represented The Dow Chemical Company in litigation filed by municipal water authority alleging groundwater contamination through dry cleaner misuse of the chemical perchloroethylene (PCE).
- Represented Dow AgroSciences LLC in personal injury suit claiming rare autoimmune response to alleged pesticide exposure.
- Served as member of the Orrick team serving as national counsel to the Union Carbide Corporation in connection with asbestos-related personal injury lawsuits.