SELECTED EXPERIENCE (includes representations prior to joining the firm)
Technology and Media
- Planet Labs. Represented earth-imaging satellite company in its acquisition of Google's Terra Bella Technologies business.
- Apigee. Represented cloud computing company Apigee in its $625 million sale to Google.
- VTech. Represented VTech in the FTC investigation of its acquisition of Leapfrog.
- AVG Technologies. Represented AVG in its $1.3 billion sale to Avast Software, maker of antivirus and security software.
- Photomask Manufacturer. Represented semiconductor photomask manufacturer in the DOJ review of its acquisition by another manufacturer.
- National Radio Network. Represented Spanish-language radio network in its $3 billion acquisition by the nation's largest Spanish-language television network.
- National Radio Network. Defended radio network in the DOJ review of multi-station acquisition.
- Government Experience. Numerous transactions reviewed at DOJ and FTC, including Google/ITA (online travel software), Universal/EMI (music distribution), and dozens of additional deals in these sectors.
- Technology Equipment Company. Defended leading home equipment technology company in class actions
alleging monopolization for exercise of intellectual property rights.
- Semiconductor Manufacturer. Defended semiconductor company against claims of price fixing in
federal court class action.
Energy and Infrastructure
- Plastics Distributor. Represented US plastics distributor in the FTC investigation of its 2016 acquisition of another major plastics distributor.
- Midstream Energy Services Company. Represented company in FTC review of the company's $13 billion acquisition of a midstream services provider; negotiated a consent decree involving divestitures.
- Midstream Energy Services Company. Defended company before the FTC review in its review of an acquisition of assets in Texas and Oklahoma.
- Renewable Power Generator. Representing renewable energy generator in structuring a joint venture for generation and transmission services.
- Oil Producer. Represented oil producer in negotiating a joint venture arrangement for pipeline services.
- Government Experience. While at the FTC, advised on numerous proposed transactions, including pipeline sales, as well as retail and industrial manufacturing and distribution deals. Drafted Commission opinions on multiple transactions (restaurant food and supplies distribution, office supply stores and glass bottle manufacturers). Advised on the Commission’s decisions and drafted opinions and statements in the administrative case involving allegations of price fixing and exclusive dealing, In re McWane; the decision was upheld on review at the Eleventh Circuit and certiorari denied by the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Financial Exchange. Represented a major financial exchange in its 2017 acquisition.
- National Bank. Defended bank against group boycott allegations in multi-year case involving credit card payment networks.
- National Bank. Defended bank against allegations of price fixing involving the merchant interchange rate for credit card payment networks.
- Government Experience. As a trial attorney at DOJ, investigated the proposed merger of the New York Stock Exchange and Deutsche Borse, the proposed takeover of NYSE by NASDAQ, and many other deals involving financial exchanges and related businesses.
Health Care and Life Sciences
- Branded Pharmaceutical Company. Represented branded drug maker in the negotiation of a licensing agreement.
- Regional Hospital System. Represented a health care provider in an investigation into a clinical integration program and joint venture.
- National Hospital System. Presented concerns of a third party to the FTC regarding a proposed health care merger.
- Government Experience. As an FTC advisor, reviewed many transactions in life sciences, medical devices, and hospitals, as well as the resolution of agency concerns.
In addition, worked on the agency’s appellate and
Supreme Court strategy pre-Actavis and its amicus briefs and staff
enforcement recommendations post-Actavis. At the DOJ, litigated the lawfulness of most favored nations clauses imposed by a health
insurer on health care providers.
- National Discount Air Carrier. Presented proposed deal to the federal antitrust agencies for an acquisition of airport slots.
- Global Air Carrier. Defended a major Asian air carrier in federal district and appellate courts
against class actions alleging price fixing of passenger air fares. See In re
Korean Air Lines Co. Antitrust Litig., 567 F. Supp. 2d 1213 (C.D. Cal. July
23, 2008), aff’d in part, vacated in part, 642 F.3d 685 (9th Cir. 2011).
- National Discount Air Carrier. Defended an air carrier against allegations of predatory pricing.
- Government Experience. Investigated the purchase and sale of airport slots between two major airlines
while at DOJ.