Yoichi Katayama, a partner in the Tokyo office, is a member of the Energy and Infrastructure Group. His practice focuses on the area of international infrastructure project development and finance, focusing on power, telecommunications and other infrastructure projects representing multinational developers and financial institutions.
A sample of his more notable engagements includes the following.
- Representation of a Japanese company investing in the first utility-scale solar PV project finance in the United States, which was awarded “Renewables Deal of the Year 2010.”
- Representation of a Japanese company and a Japanese utility in a strategic partnership to acquire 50 percent ownership stakes in a natural gas-fueled combined cycle power generating facility in Brampton, Ontario, Canada.
- Representation of a Japanese company and a Korean company in concluding a joint venture arrangement with a Philippine investment company, for Asia's first large-scale wind power project in the Philippines.
- Representation of a Japanese company in the formation and structuring of a US$200 million fund, one of the world's largest investment funds for global wind energy projects.
- Representation of a Japanese utility in acquisition of U.S. power portfolio assets.
- Representation of a Japanese renewable start-up company in arranging U.S. private equity investors and Japanese strategic investors’ participation.
- Representation of a Japanese company in the disposition of U.S. gas power plants.
- Representation of a Japanese company's joint venture/investment in a holding company for worldwide development of wind power plants.
- Representation of a Japanese company investing in a series of wind development projects in Spain, which was awarded "Renewable deal of the Year 2003."
- Representation of the first project finance wind energy projects and IPP projects in Japan.
- Representation of a leading Japanese trading company in the establishment of a joint venture with foreign investors in order to establish one of Japan's largest CATV systems and interactive broadband networks.
- Representation of a Japanese company in the acquisition of a Hungarian electrical power generation company under Hungary’s new privatization laws.
- Representation of a Japanese company and foreign company's joint venture in Hungary for the country's first project finance gas-fired power generation facility.
- Representation of a Japanese company investing in the largest wind energy project in Italy and a series of wind development projects in Spain.
- Representation of lenders, investors, developers, owners and contractors generally in projects located in various countries, including Indonesia, the Philippines, India, Italy, Hungary, Poland, Spain, Portugal, Norway, England, France and the United States.
Prior to joining Orrick in 1997, Mr. Katayama served as a general counsel for Tomen Power Corporation. He was an associate general counsel at Tomen America Inc. in New York between 1989 and 1993.