Nancy Harris is a trial attorney who concentrates her practice on complex insurance and commercial litigation. Ms. Harris has defended and prosecuted cases involving insurance coverage, securities fraud, unfair competition, misappropriation of trade secrets, business torts, commercial real estate disputes, breach of contract, accounting malpractice, and state and federal criminal charges. She has extensive experience managing and resolving complex litigation, including class actions, and has been a member of more than a half dozen trial teams in federal and state courts and in arbitration and has first chaired three jury trials.
The following is a sample of some of Ms. Harris’ engagements:
- Representation of a hospital system in dispute with an excess reinsurer regarding coverage of medical malpractice claims.
- Representation of Apple Computer, Inc. in dispute with insurer Industrial Indemnity, Inc. regarding contractual right to attorneys’ fees after resolution of coverage dispute.
- Representation of the former GC of two publicly traded companies in an SEC enforcement action alleging backdating of stock options. Matter was resolved on a non-fraud basis prior to trial.
- Representation of the former President of Countrywide Financial Corporation, the nation's largest mortgage lender, in connection with investigations by and litigation with the California Attorney General.
- Representation of the former CFO of McKesson Corporation in connection with criminal securities fraud charges by the Department of Justice, arising out of $9 billion market cap loss following earnings restatement. After a six-week trial, the client was acquitted on all counts in the indictment.
- Represented Google against class action claims relating to mobile subscription service AdWords customers.
- Represented a Japanese corporation in seven-day bench trial before the International Trade Commission in Section 337 Investigation involving issues of patent infringement and validity.
- Represented the special committee of board of directors of public company in conducting review of stock option practices. Managed all aspects of investigation, including witness interviews and presentations to Board of Directors and Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Represented a semiconductor manufacture in defense of trade secret misappropriation claims arising from licensing of software tools.
- Member of team that successfully prosecuted a three-week arbitration for a public company involving claims of breach of contract and an accounting from a former joint venture partner. The arbitrator dissolved the joint venture and awarded client all requested damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Member of the trial team in an employment age discrimination and breach of contract case tried before federal court jury in Northern District of California.
- Represented eBay subsidiary Butterfields Auctioneers Corp. in several actions brought to enjoin auctions. Successful in defeating an application for temporary restraining order in U.S. District Court sought by U.S. Attorney to enjoin auction of "Enola Gay" nuclear bomb plugs.