Mark Weeks is the Managing Partner of Orrick’s Tokyo office and of the Japan Corporate Group. He practiced in New York for 14 years before relocating to Japan. Mr. Weeks speaks, reads and writes fluent Japanese. He concentrates his practice on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, Clean Technology, life sciences, IT and telecommunications asset transfers, strategic investments, and general corporate representation for U.S. and Japanese companies.
Mr. Weeks’ representative transactions include the following.
- Assisted a Japan based global chemical company in its acquisition of a French chemical company through an auction.
- Assisted a leading U.S. based diversified chemical company in its acquisition of a herbicide, fluthiacet-methyl, which is jointly owned by leading agricultural, pesticide and industrial chemical developers and manufacturers in Japan.
- Assisted a Japan based global chemical company in its acquisition of the Tebufenozide insecticide business of a wholly owned subsidiary of The Dow Chemical Company.
- Assisted a Japanese publicly traded chemical company in the sale of its U.S. subsidiary through an auction.
- Assisted a Japanese publicly traded manufacturer of GPS, sonar and radar devices in its acquisition of a U.S. GPS semiconductor company.
- Representation of a trading subsidiary of the Toyota group in the US$200 million sale of its more than 40 percent equity stake in a global agrochemical company to a group of investors led by Olympus Capital.
- Representation of a Japanese trading and holding company in the sale of its equity stake in one of the world’s largest privately held crop protection and life sciences companies.
- Representation of a Japan-based global manufacturer and distributor of food, drinks and seasonings in the negotiation and preparation of global research, development, commercialization and license agreements with Senomyx, a developer of flavor ingredients.
- Representation of a Japanese bank in connection with the complex financing of the acquisition of a Japanese public company.
- General representation of a biotech company in connection with M&A licenses and supply, manufacturing, collaboration and research and development agreements.
- General representation of a Japanese agricultural chemicals company in connection with M&A, joint venture, asset transfer, supply, distribution and license agreements related to its fungicide, pesticide and herbicide businesses.
- Representation of a Japanese cash management company in connection with the tender offer for a U.S. cash management company.
- Representation of a Japanese food processing company in connection with the tender offer for a U.S. food processing company.
- Joint venture between a Japanese company and a U.S. company to create a company to provide identity authentication, credit checks and reports in connection with online business-to-business transactions.
- Representation of a Japanese retailer as creditor in connection with the reorganization of a large U.S. retail clothing store chain. This included establishing a joint venture to license a trademark in Asia and negotiating the terms of a subordinated note agreement, warrants and a stockholders’ agreement for the new stockholders of the reorganized entity.
L. Mark Weeks
- Featured speaker, “Strategies for Global IP Litigation, Intellectual Property in M&A: The Role of IP Due Diligence in Achieving a Successful Transaction,” Osaka and Tokyo, October 2013.
- Featured speaker, “Antimonopoly Law Considerations and Risk Management in connection with M&A Transactions,” Tokyo, February 2013.
- Featured speaker, “Strategies for Global IP Litigation, Licensing and Antitrust,” Osaka and Tokyo, December 2010.
- Featured speaker, Orrick Employment Law Seminar entitled “Critical Employment Law Issues for Companies Doing Business in Japan,” Tokyo, September 2010.
- Panelist, Orrick and Japan Institute for Overseas Investment jointly hosted seminar entitled “U.S. Renewable Energy and Cleantech Business Trends,” Tokyo, March 2010.
- Panelist, Orrick Employment Seminar entitled “Cross-Border Protection of Trade Secrets in the Workplace,” San Francisco, January 2010.
- Panelist, Orrick Employment Seminar entitled “Global Downsizing for the Multinational Company,” New York, January 2009.
- Featured speaker at the July 2005 marcus evans conference entitled “Mergers, Acquisitions and Strategic Alliances.”
- Featured speaker, “Avoiding Surprises in U.S. Licensing,” Orrick Life Sciences Seminar, May 2006.
- Featured speaker at the June 2005 Legal Crisis Communications Seminar entitled “Legal Crisis Management and Communications in the Age of Deregulation, Globalization, and the Internet.”
- Featured speaker and moderator at the June 2003 Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry of New York panel discussion entitled “Mergers and Acquisitions in a Challenging Economy.”
- Featured speaker at the July 2002 Martindale-Hubbell Counsel to Counsel Roundtable Forum entitled “Best Practices for Supporting International Expansion.”
- Featured speaker at the November 1999 American Corporate Counsel Association seminar entitled “From Bricks to Clicks: How to Take Your Brick and Mortar Business Online.”
- Co-author, “Asking M&A Professionals 2013 - Messages from 34 M&A Advisory Companies Succeeding in Japan,” (M&A Review, January 2013, Vol. 27., No. 1).
- Co-author, “Managing Outbound M&A Transactions for Japanese Companies” published in “Navigating M&A Deals in the Asia-Pacific: Leading Lawyers on Examining the Trends and Strategies Impacting Mergers and Acquisitions in the Asia-Pacific” (ASPATORE Books by Thomson Reuters, April 2012).
- Co-author, “2012 M&A Market Forecast,” (M&A Review, January 2012, Vol. 26., No. 1).
- Featured interview entitled “Recent Trends of M&A Market in The U.S.A and Opportunities for Japanese Corporations” (M&A Review, January 2011, Vol. 25., No. 1).
- Co-author, “U.S. Intellectual Property Law and the Internet,” presented at the Union Internationale des Avocats Scientific Program on Intellectual Property in New Delhi, India, November 6, 1999, and published in the Journal of the Japanese Institute of International Business Law, July through August 2000, Japanese language version.
- Co-author, “Summary of Major U.S. Intellectual Property Laws,” presented at the Union Internationale des Avocats seminar on NAFTA and the Business Lawyer, May 8, 1998, and published in the Journal of the Japanese Institute of International Business Law, September - October 1998, Japanese language version.
- Translator, official English translation of the Commercial Arbitration Rules, effective October 1, 1992, of the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association.
- New York
- Registered Foreign Lawyer in Japan
Admitted only in New York and as a Registered Foreign Lawyer in Japan