Mark Weeks is the Managing Partner of the Tokyo office, leader of the Japan Corporate/M&A Group, co-leader of the Global Japan Practice and a member of Orrick's Finance & Audit Committee. He practiced in New York for 14 years before relocating to Japan. Mr. Weeks speaks, reads and writes fluent Japanese. He concentrates his practice on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, Clean Technology, life sciences, IT and telecommunications asset transfers, strategic investments, and general corporate representation for U.S. and Japanese companies.
Mr. Weeks’ representative transactions include the following.
- Assisted a Japan based car parts company in acquisition of a global car parts business from a France based global car parts company.
- Assisted a Japan based global chemical company in its acquisition of a French chemical company through an auction.
- Assisted a leading U.S. based diversified chemical company in its acquisition of a herbicide, fluthiacet-methyl, which is jointly owned by leading agricultural, pesticide and industrial chemical developers and manufacturers in Japan.
- Assisted a Japan based global chemical company in its acquisition of the Tebufenozide insecticide business of a wholly owned subsidiary of The Dow Chemical Company.
- Assisted a Japanese publicly traded chemical company in the sale of its U.S. subsidiary through an auction.
- Assisted a Japanese publicly traded manufacturer of GPS, sonar and radar devices in its acquisition of a U.S. GPS semiconductor company.
- Representation of a trading subsidiary of the Toyota group in the US$200 million sale of its more than 40 percent equity stake in a global agrochemical company to a group of investors led by Olympus Capital.
- Representation of a Japanese trading and holding company in the sale of its equity stake in one of the world’s largest privately held crop protection and life sciences companies.
- Representation of a Japan-based global manufacturer and distributor of food, drinks and seasonings in the negotiation and preparation of global research, development, commercialization and license agreements with Senomyx, a developer of flavor ingredients.
- Representation of a Japanese bank in connection with the complex financing of the acquisition of a Japanese public company.
- General representation of a biotech company in connection with M&A licenses and supply, manufacturing, collaboration and research and development agreements.
- General representation of a Japanese agricultural chemicals company in connection with M&A, joint venture, asset transfer, supply, distribution and license agreements related to its fungicide, pesticide and herbicide businesses.
- Representation of a Japanese cash management company in connection with the tender offer for a U.S. cash management company.
- Representation of a Japanese food processing company in connection with the tender offer for a U.S. food processing company.
- Joint venture between a Japanese company and a U.S. company to create a company to provide identity authentication, credit checks and reports in connection with online business-to-business transactions.
- Representation of a Japanese retailer as creditor in connection with the reorganization of a large U.S. retail clothing store chain. This included establishing a joint venture to license a trademark in Asia and negotiating the terms of a subordinated note agreement, warrants and a stockholders’ agreement for the new stockholders of the reorganized entity.
L. Mark Weeks