Kathryn Edwards specializes in the defense of cases involving complex issues of science and medicine for clients in the pharmaceutical, medical device, biologics and chemical industries. She also represents clients in the personal care products, clothing and food industries. Ms. Edwards has substantial experience in multijurisdiction litigation, including class actions, multidistrict litigation and coordinated proceedings in state courts, as well as in 17200 and Proposition 65 litigation. She has served as national, regional and state counsel for various clients.
Ms. Edwards' practice also involves counseling clients regarding compliance with Proposition 65, the Consumer Product Safety Act and other regulations, as well as counseling clients on other extra-litigation matters.
Ms. Edwards’ strength in defending matters with complex scientific issues is further enhanced by her pre-law career. She worked as a registered nurse with more than five years experience in a major cardiovascular intensive care unit. She also served in the U.S. Navy and is a Vietnam Era Veteran. Prior to joining Orrick, Ms. Edwards was special counsel at Sedgwick LLP in San Francisco.
The following is a list of her representative matters.
Mass Torts and Product Liability
- Served as national counsel for a major pharmaceutical company in litigation alleging permanent neurological and psychological injuries from use of a prescription medication.
- Served on national defense team for a major pharmaceutical company in litigation alleging systemic, immune-mediated disease from use of a prescription medication.
- Served on national defense team for a major medical device company in litigation alleging systemic, immune-mediated disease from an implantable medical device.
- Served on national defense team for a major pharmaceutical company in litigation alleging injury from use of a contraceptive device.
- Served on a national defense team for a major chemical company in litigation alleging systemic disease from exposure to radiographic chemicals.
- Represented a major nutritional supplement manufacturer in litigation alleging that carbohydrate labeling was an unfair practice under California's consumer protection laws.
- Represented a major nutritional supplement manufacturer in litigation alleging that presence of a banned substance was an illegal practice under California's consumer protection laws.
- Represented a major food manufacturer in regulatory proceedings and litigation brought by California attorney general and citizens groups to require Proposition 65 warnings on snack foods.
- Represents major personal care products manufacturers and retailers in Proposition 65 counseling and litigation.
- Represents a major fabric manufacturer in Proposition 65 litigation.
- Represented a major medical diagnostics company in Proposition 65 compliance.