James specialises in data privacy law and has extensive experience advising on the Data Protection Act 1998, the EU Data Protection Directive and the application of data protection laws globally. James also regularly advises clients on business and consumer issues arising through the regulation of online activities and e-commerce.
James' experience includes advising on:
- complex data processing arrangements;
- data sharing and outsourcing agreements;
- the international transfer of personal data;
- customer and employee privacy policies;
- the collection and use of personal data in the online environment;
- the use of personal data for direct marketing;
- cookie law compliance;
- data subject access requests;
- employee monitoring and vetting;
- data privacy awareness training;
- data security and breach management;
- privacy law sanctions;
- engagement with and notifications to data privacy regulators;
- data privacy audits, impact assessments and compliance programmes;
- website terms and conditions;
- the buying and selling of goods and services online; and
- the promotion of services and products.
Before joining Orrick, James was legal counsel to Barclays Bank Group Privacy function. In his role, James provided legal, strategic and operational guidance to Barclays global data protection compliance programme, including managing the practical implementation of data privacy controls.
James has been awarded the Information Systems Examinations Board (ISEB) Accreditation in Data Protection.