Daniel Yost is co-chair of the technology transactions and licensing practice at Orrick and a prior co-chair of Orrick's Emerging Companies Group. Mr. Yost's practice focuses on negotiating complex commercial and technology transactions and intellectual property counseling. Mr. Yost has counseled clients on commercial law, copyright, licensing, marketing, patent, privacy, strategic alliances, trademark and trade secrets matters.
Mr. Yost has represented companies in various industries, including biotechnology, consumer electronics, energy, entertainment, hardware, Internet, media, semiconductor, services, software, telecommunications and wireless. His energy clients include clients in the solar, ethanol, biomass, geothermal and water purification sectors.
Mr. Yost has acted as key legal counsel in:
- Manufacturing, distribution and sale arrangements for makers of software, chips, security devices and solar technologies, among others.
- Technology transactions with universities, governments and non-profit entities.
- Privacy, copyright and online pitfalls applicable to Internet companies.
- Domestic and international collaborations for developers of pharmaceutical products, medical devices, semiconductors and software, among others.
- Mergers, acquisitions, spin-offs and asset divestitures in a wide range of industries, including biotechnology, health databases, semiconductors medical software, entertainment, Internet browsers and e-commerce.
- Open source policy development and compliance.
- IT and business process services agreements.
- Venture capital investments in technology-based enterprises.
A client noted in Chambers USA that, "His work is solution-driven and his positive personality helps both sides of a negotiation work towards the outcome." Mr. Yost is a frequent speaker on technology transactions issues and programs that focus on the protection and exploitation of intellectual property.