Adam Wenner, a partner in Orrick’s Washington, D.C., office, heads Orrick's Energy Regulatory Group. Mr. Wenner has been active in the energy industry for more than 25 years.
As Deputy Assistant General Counsel at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Mr. Wenner was instrumental in the development of the federal programs and policies that fostered the independent power industry, and his experience includes representing independent power generators -- including some of the largest wind and solar projects in the United States -- as well as “merchant” transmission companies, traditional electric utility companies, before FERC, state utility commissions and NERC Regional Reliability Organizations.
Mr. Wenner also advises power project developers and financial institutions in transactions involving the development, financing, sale and purchase of energy projects, and he advises some of the largest U.S. companies in the development and implementation of FERC and NERC compliance programs.
- Represents many of the nation’s largest wind energy developers in negotiations, dispute resolution and administrative litigation relating to transmission and interconnection arrangements. His representations include interconnection and transmission matters involving many utilities, as well as the California ISO, the Midwest ISO and the Southwest Power Pool.
- Serves as outside energy regulatory compliance officer for one of the largest companies in the United States, which has divisions involved in energy investments and conventional and renewable generation systems development.
- Represents energy companies in setting up compliance systems and contested matters involving North American Electric Reliability Corporation electric reliability standards, applicable generation, and transmission owners and operators.
- Represents tax equity investors in several major transactions involving acquisitions of interests in several wind energy project portfolios.
- Represented the U.S. subsidiary of a major Japanese trading company in the development of the first independent power project in the United States, and continues to represent that company in the development and acquisition of gas-fired and renewable energy projects.
- Represents a major bank in the financing of a wind portfolio in New York State.
- Represents a major wind developer in the acquisition of its parent company by a European utility company.
- Represented an Australian infrastructure fund in the acquisition of a U.S. gas and electric utility.
- Represented investors in a US$600 million undersea electric transmission line project.
Prior to joining Orrick, Mr. Wenner was a partner at Chadbourne & Parke (2002-2011).
Mr. Wenner has authored many articles about the power industry in publications including Global Utilities Finance Report, International Power Finance Review, International Financial Law Review, Public Utilities Fortnightly, Electricity Journal and Energy Economist.